These are the books I am looking forward to for the rest of 2011. You will find a more extensive list on my almanac of forthcoming books.
These first five are pretty safe cards by authors I count as personal favorites. The Departure is a new series about 11.000 years of human history (it went under the name 11K before). Gavin Smith’s wonderful military science fictionVeteran was the best debut last year so I am really interested in what book two will bring. Jaine Fenn brings her heroes on a search for the technology to open a lost world to interstellar travel again while fighting a hidden empire that still rule behind the scenes. David Weber will let us know what is under the temple in this new Safehold novel while Wooding promises further follies with the Kitty Jay crew, this time on a train.
- The Departure (Owner Trilogy 1) by Neal Asher (Tor UK) – US | UK
- War in Heaven (Veteran book 2) by Gavin G. Smith (Gollancz) – US | UK
- Bringer of Light (The Hidden Empire book 4) by Jaine Fenn (Gollancz) – US | UK
- How Firm A Foundation (Safehold 5) by David Weber (Tor) – US | UK
- The Iron Jackal (Tale of the Kitty Jay 3) by Chris Wooding (Gollancz) – US | UK
Bodard, Meluch and Gibson are old friends. Greg Egan interest with a ‘hard’ science based alternative reality with some really spiffy natural laws. Heaven’s Shadow is the kind of first contact that I love to read about.
- Master of the House of Darts (Obsidian and Blood 3) by Aliette de Bodard (Angry Robot) – US | UK
- The Clockwork Rocket by Greg Egan (Night Shade) – US | UK
- The Ninth Circle (Tour of the Merrimack 5) by R. M. Meluch (Daw) – US | UK
- Heaven’s Shadow (Heaven’s Shadow Trilogy book 1) by Michael Cassutt & David S Goyer (Tor) – US | UK
- Final Days (Final Days book 1) by Gary Gibson (Tor UK) – US | UK
I read the ARC of David Weber’s new YA novel and it was nice. All the others are new to me but I like what I have read about them.
- The Recollection by Gareth L. Powell (Solaris) – US | UK
- Debris (The Veiled Worlds 1) by Jo Anderton (Angry Robot) – US | UK
- By Light Alone by Adam Roberts (Gollancz) – US | UK
- A Beautiful Friendship (Honorverse YA) by David Weber (Baen) – US | UK
- The Kingdom of Gods (The Inheritance Trilogy 3) by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit) – US | UK
Kris Longknife will finally get to the aliens I have been waiting for the last couple of books. The new Vernor Vinge sounds epic and I just have to see how Humanity’s Fire ends. Palmer did a decent job with Hell Ship but the ending felt a bit rushed so I need this book. A new Alex Benedict is never wrong.
- Daring (Kris Longknife 9) by Mike Shepherd (Ace) – US | UK
- The Children of the Sky (sequel to A Fire Upon the Deep) by Vernor Vinge (Tor) – US | UK
- The Ascendant Stars (Humanity’s Fire 3) by Michael Cobley (Orbit 2011) – US | UK
- Artemis by Philip Palmer (Orbit) – US | UK
- Firebird (Alex Benedict) by Jack McDevitt (Ace 2011) – US | UK