Performance appraisal, also known as employee appraisal is the common English names for the annual employee employer talk. A better name might be Development appraisal or such. At the moment I am preparing to have these talks with my staff. Its been a few years since I did it last time.
My personal checklist for the talks:
- Situation and result
- Do you get enough Information?
- Do you get enough Management?
- How do you asses yourself?
- What you know about our goals
- Work environment
- What to improve
- Relations with management
- Which improvment in our relation would you like to see?
- My view of you
- Your view of me
- Personal development
- Which personal goals do you have for the next year
- Where do you want to be in 3 years?
- How would you like to go about it?
- Unit development
- The next year
- Action plan until the next meeting.
Depending on the overall objective you can design the talks in 3 different ways:
- Use it as a tool for Management By Objectives (MBO).
- Use it as a tool for Human Resource planing
- Use it to improve relations in the workforce
I think I prefere a mix of all three.