One of my objectives with Formidable Female Protagonists in Science Fiction was to expand my to-read list with more awesome female protagonists. A little more than one third of the list is new to me characters and books and I have collected them here. I will use the list for future reading and make updates to the original list as I review them.
I have made a preliminary ranking. This is my arbitrary how-much-I-want-to read about that character. My criteria has not been overly scientific. I based it on how much I think I will enjoy the reading and how interesting the character seems to be. I think I picked those inside my comfort zone first. I like space opera and military science fiction. I also like coming-of-age, learning-the-world kind of themes.
I would love your input. Is there someone I should move up in priority? Please tell me why and I might be convinced to read it earlier.
index | authors | characters | timeline | unread | afterword
I am a bit impulsive at times and order stuff on a whim like these two. I do hope they are all that I think.
* have arrived
My To-Read List
I want to make a short comment on my motivations for the top picks.
The Mockinjay is series that have been getting a lot of positive buzz. It is a coming-of-age story which I also like. The story about a young girl taking her brother’s place in a gladiator game and becoming a front figure for a revolution against oppression has appeal to me.
Vernor Vinge is enough of a recommendation for me. I have not read so many books by him yet but I like what I have read and would like to read more. There are a few others of his books I am planing to read first. There is an omnibus version of A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky coming out this month from Gollancz I plan to read first. Tatja Grim sounds like another kind of story I like to read, a journey-of-discovery. Mensa level barbarian meets futuristic society and learns to read.
I have a whole bunch of Larry Niven books on my reading list starting with the Fleet of Worlds sequence. I want to go back and finish the Ring world books after that so Teela Brown is sure to come up there.
- Katniss Everdeen- The Mockingjay (Suzanne Collins) Read Oct 2010
- Tatja Grim – Mensa-level Barbarian (Vernor Vinge)
- Teela Brown – Born Lucky (Larry Niven)
- Jani Kilian – Alien Hybrid (Kristine Smith)
- Catherine Li – Human Construct (Chris Moriarty)
- Rowan – Steerswoman (Rosemary Kirstein)
- Parrish Plessis – Postapocalyptic Bodyguard (Marianne de Pierres)
- Thursday Next – Literary Operative (Jasper Fforde)
- Pricilla Delacroiz y Mendoza – Exiled Spacer (Steve Miller & Sharon Lee)
- Cassandra Kresnov – Disillusioned Super-Soldier (Joel Shepherd)
- Ariane Emory – I Made Me (C. J. Cherryh)
- Dana- Vessel of Understanding (Octavia Butler)
- Sharrow – Symbol of a Solar System (Ian M. Banks)
- Dirisha Zuri – the Matadora (Steve Perry)
- Jean “Jeanie” Pelham Roker – Collector of Grey Hairs (Charles Sheffield)
- Anyanwu – Two Immortals (Octavia Butler)
- Lore Van de Oest – Playing Spanner’s Game (Nicola Griffith)
- Skeen – Gate Rooner (Jo Clayton)
- Deadpan Allie – Pathosfinder (Pat Cadigan)
- Rissa Kerguelen – Underground Poster Child (F. M. Busby)
- Festina Ramos – Expendable (James Alan Gardner)
- Captain Reverdy Jian – Sceptic Pilot (Melissa Scott)
- Cirroco Jones – Captain & Wizard (John Varley)
- Laura Webster – Improve the World (Bruce Sterling)
- Ruby Kubick – Agoraphobic Salvage Artist (Laura J. Mixon)
- Marquelle Green Tamryn – She-Lord (Dara Joy)
- Casseia Majumdar – Scientific Revolutionary (Greg Bear)
- Imelda – Scientific Detective (Ella Mack)
- Paula Mendoza – Unconventional Negotiator (Cecelia Holland)
- Rebel Elizabeth Mudlark – Mind Recording (Michael Swanwick)
- Hazel D’Ark – Rebel Pirate (Simon R. Green)
- Lauren Olamina – Feeler of Pain (Octavia Butler)
- Cherijo Grey Veil – Stardoc (S. L. Viehl)
- Annie ‘Mama’ Jason Masmajean – Ecological Troubleshooter (Janet Kagan)
- Margaret “Meg” Murry O’Keefe – Time traveler (Madeleine L’Engle)
- Dion – Wolfwalker (Tara K. Harper)
- Cassandra Blaine – Cyber Star (Wilhelmina Baird)
- Sarah – Cyborized Gun-for-hire (Walter Jon Williams)
- Nicole Shea – Not so perfect Hero (Chris Claremont)
- Nausicaä – Ecological Princess (Hayao Miyazaki)
- Darwi ‘Dar’ Odrade – Sea Child (Frank Herbert)
- Rachel Berenson – The War Goddess (K. A. Applegate)