I had a wonderful week with lots of good reading and some excellent tv too.
My highlights of the week was the Veteran, The City and The City and the premiere of Eureka.
Watching wise my plan for next week includes reviews of the new series Covert Affairs as well as episode reviews of The Gates, True Blood, Warehouse 13, Eureka and Haven.
Reading wise I’ll try to read six books next week, make a summation of 2010 and at least four reviews.
Notable posts this week
- Eureka Season 4 Premiere Review
- Neal Asher (Author) – profile page
- Warehouse 13 Review of Season Premiere
Formidable Female Protagonists in Science Fiction this week
I prefer female protagonists and this series of posts is homage to some of the most formidable female main characters in science fiction novels or series. This weeks formidable females contains some new favorites like Mearana, Briar, Caitlin and some old.
- Mearana – The Harper (Michael Flynn)
- Sparta – Venus Prime (Paul Preuss)
- Briar Wilkes – Persistent Mother (Cherie Priest)
- Caitlin Decter – Best Friend of the Web (Robert J. Sawyer)
- Ilia Volyova – Triumvir Ultra (Alastair Reynolds)
Dr. Helena Magnus on Sanctuary. She is the immortal protagonist of Sanctuary. The show is in preparation for season 3 this fall /winter.
My monthly posts from earlier
You can also read my pick for New Science Fiction Books in July 2010 – Revisited. I have started to include links of reviews which I hope you will find useful. Picks for August will be posted Thursday, July 15.
Books Read this week
My goal was to read five books this week and I did, one is a novella though. I am planing six books next week a little depending on what drops in the mail. I really would like to start on the Stealing Light trilogy by Gary Gibson and Retribution Falls by Cris Wooding. It would be nice to round off the Hugo Voter Packet with Julian Comstock and Palimpsest too. If I am lucky Pathfinder by Laura E. Reeve lands next week and if so it goes first.
- Veteran by Gavin Smith (Gollancz) [Review in July]
- Dusk by Ashanti Luke (iUniverse)
- The Lotus Eaters (Carrera book 3) by Tom Kratman (Baen)
- The City and the City by China Miéville (MacMillan) [Review in July]
- Vishnu at the Cat Circus by Ian McDonald (Pyr/Gollancz) – a novella
Backlog of books
- Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington book 12) by David Weber (Baen)
- Boneshaker (Clockwork Century book 1) by Cherie Priest (Tor) [Review in July]
- A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact book 1) by Julie E. Czerneda (Daw)
- Ties of Power (Trade Pact book 2) by Julie E. Czerneda (Daw) [Reivew July 14]
- To Trade The Stars (Trade Pact book 3) by Julie E. Czerneda (Daw) [Review July 17]
- Ashes and Stars (Omega Point Trilogy book 1) by George Zebrowski
- The Bloodstained Man (Netherworld book 2) by Christopher Rowley (Tor) – at TLR
- Blood and Iron (Robot wars/Penrose book 2) by Tony Ballantyne (Tor) [Review June 13]
Books received for review
- Damage Time by Colin Harvey (Angry Robot)
Books bought by me this week
- Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant volume 4) by Piers Anthony (Avon)
- Diamond Star (Saga of the Skolian Empire) by Catherine Asaro (Baen)
- The Genius Gene (Catherine Fox Trilogy book 1) by Howard Birnberg (Bookguild)
Progress rapport after the break
I have a hefty plan for reading this summer. Reading 46 books in two months. That might be though. Here is my progress rapport.