My first week of blissful vacation has been nice, I read some and I worked on my blog as much as I liked. Hopefully you will like the tweaks and changes I am making. The most recent one is Lightbox Plus a plugin for viewing pictures.
My highlight of the week was the arrival of Mission of Honor. It is easily my most anticipated book of the year. I poured myself some Single Malt, gabbed some Knäckebröd and relaxed in my favorite reading chair and started reading. I finished it in one go, you may read my review next week.
Plans for next week includes 13 SF Books for the Rest of 2010, more book reviews (Mission of Honor hopefully), reviews of Haven, Warehouse 13 and Eureka and at least five books read.
Essential posts this week
This week there was switch of month with all the (hopefully) interesting posts associated with that.
My Monthly Posts
Please read my Monthly Journal June 2010 – 16 books read and 16 books reviewed that sounds good. But wait, I had a backlog going in and I still have a backlog of seven books to review, just not the seven I had at the start of the month. Cybermage continues to grow, 7.967 unique visitors this month (so close to 8k you can smell it) which is all time high, my numbers are still modest in comparison to the great ones out there but it is getting there.
You can also read my pick for New Science Fiction Books in July 2010 – Revisited. I have started to include links of reviews which I hope you will find useful. Picks for August will be posted July 15.
What is New On TV in July 2010?
- Three new series: Haven (Syfy), Covert Affairs (USA) and Rizzoli & Isles (TNT)
- Five season premieres: Warehouse 13 (Syfy), Eureka (Syfy), The Closer (TNT), White Collar (USA), Psych (USA)
- New episodes of: Futurama (Comedy Central), True Blood (HBO), The Gates (ABC)
Formidable Female Protagonists in Science Fiction
I prefer female protagonists and this series of posts is homage to some of the most formidable female main characters in science fiction novels or series. This week features some formidable ones indeed.
- Ariane Emory – I Made Me (C. J. Cherryh)
- Claire Haskel – Super Razor (David J. Williams)
- Ellen Ripley – Kick-ass Mother (Alan Dean Foster)
- Sweetness Octave Glorious Honey-Bun Asiim Engineer 12th (Ian Mcdonald)
- Thursday Next – Literary Operative (Jasper Fforde)
Female Protagonist on SF TV of the Week
Myka Bering on Warehouse 13 is current with the season premiere now on Tuesday July 6. I will be watching, expect a review later this week on the season premiere Time Will Tell.
Other posts of interest this week
- Eureka – 4th Season Premiere July 9
- Warehouse 13 – Season 2 premiere July 6
- Haven – New Series Premieres Friday July 9
- True Blood 3.03 – It Hurts Me Too – Review/Recap
- The Gates 1.02 – What Lies Beneath – Review/Recap
Books read this week
I have focused on getting my blog in order before reading. That sounded wrong I should get my priorities right. Anyway, what I lost in quantity I made up in quality and enjoyment, all books where great in their own way.
- Mission of Honor by David Weber (Baen) – Honor Harrington book 12
- The Bloodstained Man by Christopher Rowley (Tor) Netherworld book 2 – reviewed on TLR
- Blood and Iron by Tony Ballantyne (Tor UK) – Robot wars/Penrose book 2
My backlog of books
- Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (Tor) – Clockwork Century book 1
- A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda (Daw) – Trade Pact book 1
- Ties of Power by Julie E. Czerneda (Daw) – Trade Pact book 2
- To Trade The Stars by Julie E. Czerneda (Daw) – Trade Pact book 3
- Ashes and Stars by George Zebrowski (NEL) – Omega Point Trilogy 1
- The Machinery of Light by David J Williams (Bantam Spectra) – Autumn Rain book 3
Arrived books bought by me this week
- Mission of Honor by David Weber (Honor Harrington 12)
- Statesman by Piers Anthony (Bio of a Space Tyrant 5)
- The Iron Maiden by Piers Anthony (Bio of a Space Tyrant 6)
Progress rapport after the break
I have a hefty plan for reading this summer. Reading 46 books in two months. That might be though. Here is my progress rapport.
Read so far