I am suffering from television overload. Last weeks premieres continued this week with some great premieres. SGU was the TV highlight of the week.
I read three Novels this week and I was mighty impressed by Karl Schroeder’s Virga series. It was enjoyable post singularity steampunk adventures and Queen of Candesce even had a really formidable female protagonist. I also wrote two reviews and published three.
Notable posts this week
- Stargate Universe Returns [TV Review]
- The Event 1.02 – To Keep Us Safe [TV Review]
- Chuck 4.02 – Chuck vs the Suitcase [TV Review]
- Lost Girl 1.03 [TV Review]
- I wrote The New TV Season for Science Fiction Fans (Fall 2010) earlier and it is a brief on all the new and returning SFF shows this fall. Most of the shows have videos. This week i posted on The Big Bang Theory also see older post Vampire Diaries, Undercovers, Merlin, Nikita , Fringe, Chuck, Lost Girl and The Event for more information on individual shows.
- Read news about series in development in SFF Pilot Watch.
- For more TV news see my weekly “New & Returning TV this Week” post tomorrow. Caprica is coming back earlier. I keep “When is my favorite show coming back?” updated with premieres and finales for all my favorite shows.
- I have also updated my To Be Read List.
Formidable Female Protagonists in Science Fiction
This week is the last regular FFPinSF post, I will write an afterword next week and then return with a new post as soon as I have five new ones.
I prefer female protagonists and this series of posts is homage to some of the most formidable female main characters in science fiction novels or series. I am still taking suggestions, there is a list of the ones taken at the Index page.
- Lauren Olamina – Feeler of Pain (Octavia Butler)
- Venera Fanning – Queen of Candesce (Karl Schroeder)
- Rachel Berenson – The War Goddess (K. A. Applegate)
- Lila Black – Half Machine (Justina Robson)
- Cherijo Grey Veil – Stardoc (S. L. Viehl)
New SF Books in October
Here is my pick for October: New Science Fiction Books in October 2010:
Books Read this week
- Queen of Candesce (Virga book 2, Omnibus Virga: Cities of Air) by Karl Schroeder (Tor 2007)
- Sun of Suns (Virga book 1, Omnibus Virga: Cities of Air) by Karl Schroeder (Tor 2006)
- The Domino Pattern (Quadrail book 4) by Timothy Zahn (Tor)
Reviews to be Published
- Damage Time by Colin Harvey (Angry Robot 2010)
- Ragnarok (Ragnarok book 1) by Patrick A. Vanner (Baen 2010)
- Children No More (Jon & Lobo 4) by Mark L. van Name (Baen 2010) – Review on TLR October 5
- The Genius Gene (Catherine Fox Trilogy 1) by Howard Birnberg (Book Guild 2010)
- At Empire’s Edge (Zak Cato book 1) by William C. Dietz (Ace 2009)
- The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive book 1) by Brandon Sanderson (Tor/MacMillan Audio 2010)
- The Colony (The Colony book 1) by Ray Harper (The Book Guild 2010) Review onTLR
- A New Hope (2/4 Cavalry book 1) by Eric Johnson (Amazon kindle 2010)
- A Plague of Angels (A Plague of Angels book 1) by Sheri S. Tepper (HarperCollins 1994)
- Engima (Harmony book 2) by C. F. Bentley (Daw)
- Awakened Mage (Kingmaker Kingbreaker book 2) by Karen Miller (Orbit)
- Innocent Mage (Kingmaker Kingbreaker book 1) by Karen Miller (Orbit)
- Palimpsest by Catherynne M Valente (Bantam Spectra)
- Julian Comstock by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
- The City and the City by China Miéville (MacMillan)
- Vishnu at the Cat Circus by Ian McDonald (Pyr/Gollancz) – a novella
- Ashes and Stars (Omega Point Trilogy book 1) by George Zebrowski